Bread is one of the most common choices for breakfast – and justifiably so. A freshly baked slice of bread will give us energy, it will make us feel full, and give the body the best possible start to the day.
Bread, however, is something we rarely enjoy eating “neat”. Bread eaten on its own is rather bland and we forget that there are so many delicious ways to enhance our bread consumption. Take a look below and see how you can enrich your breakfast and, at the same time, discover which accompaniment is the one that compliments your bread and best suits your taste.
Tahini is actually a sesame paste and is an extremely nutritional food. It gives energy to the body and is beneficial to both the heart and brain as most of the fat contained in tahini is mono and poly-unsaturated fat with both omega-3 and omega-6. It also contains vegetal proteins, combined with elements such as calcium and vitamin E, which has made it a favourite choice for people who stick to a healthy diet.
Dried nuts are very nutritional, especially for the proper function of the brain, and high quality peanut butter is an excellent alternative with regard to both its taste and nutritional value. Equally nutritional pastes are produced from cashews, pistachios, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and pine nuts – just add to the paste some apple juice, tea, water and honey.
Strained yoghurt is an excellent accompaniment to bread, especially low fat yoghurt, because of its excellent combination of proteins, calcium and bacteria that are highly beneficial to our digestive system.
Avocado has a large content of monounsaturated fats that reduce cholesterol levels and expedite the loss of bodily fat. It has a great taste and smooth texture that is easily combined with several other ingredients on your bread.
Genuine olive paste is an excellent choice, delicious and beneficial in many different ways for our body. Just a pinch of oregano and a few drops of olive oil will greatly enhance your breakfast.
Our last choice takes fat totally out of the equation. All ripe fruit can be easily transformed into a paste to spread on bread and choices of flavour are simply innumerable, different ones in each season of the year. Apricots are an ideal choice for bread paste, as well as bananas and figs.
It is important to note that breakfast corresponds to just 8% of our daily fat consumption. Thus, if we make sure that the rest - 92%, is basically “good” fat (mono and poly-unsaturated), we are free to choose whatever we like best to go with our bread, especially if we prefer a highly nutritional bread, like the granary or “mixed seeds” bread.